JOIN US NOW AND ENJOY OUR
Mother’s Day News, Games & Promotions
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
What to buy for Mother’s Day this year? Well, maybe you should let her win her own gift! Celebrate Mother’s Day this year at the casino or online casino. The nice thing about this Mother’s Day gift is that you don’t have to pay for it all by yourself.
In fact, the casinos are also unwrapping this year and will give you a bonus on every deposit. Another advantage is that if your mother or mother-in-law plays, chances are you’ll have a Sunday afternoon off. On this page we’ll tell you all about Mother’s Day, gift ideas, and what games you can come home with.
Mother’s Day is such a typical American invention. Somehow that is true, but it is too short of the mark to say that Americans were purely in it for the money. After all, it was a single teacher from Philadelphia who started Mother’s Day in 1914 to honor her late mother. Anna Jarvis’ mother was an advocate for social rights and died on the second Sunday in May in 1905.
This is the tradition we have adopted. In Belgium, they do not celebrate Mother’s Day until August, invoking another, European tradition. In the Netherlands, Mother’s Day was introduced in 1928 by the Royal Society for Horticulture and Botany, simply to sell more flowers. While in the beginning the day was still about taking care of your mother and bringing her breakfast in bed, that piece has steadily diminished. Meanwhile the gifts are getting bigger and bigger. Now what if you could bring breakfast in bed with a laptop so mom could play nice and you could do the housework downstairs? Best of both worlds.
Top 5 gift ideas mother’s day
- Flowers! Say it with flowers. What woman can resist the beauty and scents of a beautiful bouquet of flowers? Exactly, none. A bunch of flowers with a card is classic and may not be original, but it is always appreciated. Choose fresh spring colors, with lots of tulips, daffodils and chrysanthemums. If you are very tight on money, you can even pick a bouquet. Just be careful not to ruin the view for others.
- Care products. Right behind flowers, skincare products take a solid second place. Actually, it is all the charm of flowers in a bottle, turning every shower into a pampering moment. Nowadays, natural products are very in, so look carefully at the ingredients. Costs a little more, but is much better for the skin and the environment.
- Photo album. Don’t visit mom as often as you’d like? Then give her a photo album full of your beautiful moments together. Personalized gift. If you want your mom to look at your photo more than once a month, put your photo on a mug. Then you can be sure you’ll be thought of at least once a day.
- A good book. An exciting book. A comic book. A read-aloud book. A flawed novel. A fifty shades of gray book. A book that will keep you entertained in bed all day after breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. Bookstores often have the shelves already set up on Mother’s Day and you can find all the appropriate books right in the windows.
- Gift card. Gift card? No, that’s just a little too trite for us. Better deposit at our casinos! Then you get both a bonus, and those two or three tenners can be worth a lot more (besides being a nice pastime). That’s a lot better than a gift certificate, which basically says: I didn’t know either.
In the Netherlands, we celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday in May. This is not the same in every country. In Belgium, for example, they celebrate Mother’s Day in August. In the Netherlands, we follow the initiative of American Anna Jarvis (1864-1948), while in Belgium they have Catholic motives for Mother’s Day. Hence the difference in date.
American Ann Reevers Jarvis was active in grassroots development work and devised a special day for ‘memorial mother’s day for mothers living and dead’. It was her daughter, Anna Jarvis (1864-1948), who eventually implemented this plan. She chose the second Sunday in May as the date for this new ‘Mother’s Day’. Not without reason, this was the first Sunday after her own mother’s death on 9 May 1905.
A good Mother’s Day gift doesn’t have to be expensive, it’s all about the thoughtfulness. Many choose gifts that fit the spring theme. Think flowers, a pamper day or a basket full of goodies. Candles or something decorative for the home are also often bought for Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day is celebrated all over the world, but not all on the same date. Mother’s Day as we know it, on the second Sunday of the month, is celebrated in countries including Germany, Denmark, Italy, Turkey, Australia, Suriname and, of course, the United States, where this form of Mother’s Day started.
Many casinos put the mother in the spotlight on Mother’s Day. Only which casinos, you never know in advance. Promotions are often announced just before Mother’s Day. So keep a close eye on our site around holidays for an overview of the latest bonuses and promotions.