Fun times are over! The United States had it fairly easy, but Jill Ellis and Company now face tougher opponents than the group phase. The tension has also gone up a bit: it’s go on or go home from now on! Spain is the first hurdle towards the championship, but this team has ambitions of their own. In their view, the US is just a hurdle for their first title. France is awaiting the winner from this match in the quarter finals. Surely the heavier side of the bracket.
Let’s look at the path for both teams thus far:
- USA: Thailand (13-0), Chile (3-0) and Sweden (2-0)
- Spain: South Africa (3-1), Germany (0-1) and China (0-0)
It’s obvious that the women from the US are entering this match more confident than their opponents, not having to fish a single ball from their net thus far.
USA vs. Spain statistics
- There is not that much to tell since this is just the second time these teams meet!.
- It was not that long ago so, so we can still learn from this match. It ended in a 1-0 win for the U.S. with a goal from Christen Press in the 54th minute.
- The US shot nine times on goal during the match, Spain managed four attempts. 6 months later, 22 of the 25 players that played back then are still in the team.
- For the US, even 16 out of 17 of the players who were on the roster back then are playing.
USA vs Spain Predictions
Spain has the potential of becoming the nr 1 in the world if they master the typical style of tiki-taka with short passes and good position play. But this isn’t the tournament for that to happen just yet. We predict US to dominate this match and keep their clean sheet. If you want to place a bet on Spain nonetheless, bet on Jennifer Hermoso to score. She is the current striker of Atletico Madrid and played for Barcelona and PSG in the past.